Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
[email protected] SFTVratings_troy@yahoo.com is offline

Default HD RADIO is no worse than DAB or DRM radio

On Sep 30, 5:46 am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
wrote in message
Frank Dresser wrote:

Neither AM nor FM are currently broadcast close to thier
fidelity limits. Plenty are happy with the current mid-fi radio and
perfect audio reproduction would not bring in listeners.

I agree with that. What would attract people to HD Radio is seeing
their favorite stations (like mine: FM97) multiply into 3 or 4
channels..... thus giving more choices to the listener.

For every additional channel a station adds in IBOC, their main
channel bitrate MUST suffer, as bandwidth is taken away from
it, so it of necessity MUST cut back the bitrate.

Oh well. Somebody else in this forum just got done telling me,
"Listeners don't care about quality", so it shouldn't be an an issue.
People want variety, and lots of stations. And that's what IBOC-FM
provides.

BTW:

IBOC does have an advantage over DAB. DAB only has room for ~100 kbps
per station. IBOC provides each digital FM station with 300 kbps.