Trevor Wilson

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message
Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

At least I am not a low-life con artist who sells people a
bill of goods when it comes to the so-called sound of
upscale amps and exotic wires.

**Would you care to phrase that in English?

You con people.

**Prove it.

In addition, you may also be conning
yourself. I do not know which is worse.

Is that opposed to retired
librarians who imagine that a short circuit offers zero Ohms
resistance?

Close enough to zero to essentially shunt all of an amp's
audible output around the speaker load and shut the amp
down.

**That is not what you stated previously. Do you now admit that a short
circuit is not zero Ohms?

As one real expert posted previously, yes, it is not zero
ohms. But for all practical purposes, when it is in parallel
with a speaker load it might as well be zero.

**Without knowing the nature of the short circuit, it is not possible to
state this with any certainty. But you'd know that, if you knew anything
about electronics. Of course, you don't, so you continue to make fundamental
errors.

Is
that opposed to retired librarians who have no idea how the protection
systems operate in domestic (or any other) amplifiers?

At least I do not claim that one's own, specially built
amplifier has mysterious qualities that make it sound better
than other, decently built versions.

**Good. Nor do I. There is absolutely nothing mysterious about the
amplifiers I referred you to.

Good. That means they sound like all other good amps, at
least up to their respective clipping levels. If you say
otherwise, you are a con artist.

**Indeed. They sound identical to other amplifiers which measure identically
to them. There has never been any argument over this point.

Nothing whatsoever. Just good, solid
engineering. Oops, I forgot. You don't have a clue about how amplifiers
actually work, do you? ALL amplifiers are a mystery to you.

I know enough about them to realize that when somebody like
you claims that a super-duper amp he is dealing with sounds
superior to all others that individual is pulling a sales
scam.

**IF I had said such a thing (which I have not), then you would be entitled
to say so.

Some of us,
however, have some education into the functioning of electronic
equipment.

Maybe so. However, additional education in the realms of
both common sense and ethics would not hurt.

**I agree.

suggest you get off your butt and do likewise. After you've spent 4 years
studying electronics and 30 odd years with hands on experience, we'll be
able to converse at the same level.

How many additional years of con-artist training will I need
to be as good at the job as you?

**When will you stop beating the crap out of your wife?

Is that opposed to
retired librarians who have no understanding of Thevenin's Theorem?

At least I do not claim that exotic speaker wires have an
audible advantage over thick lamp cord.

**Of course you don't! You're an idiot. I've patiently explained how SOME
cables can affect SOME loudspeakers in SOME systems, many times.

Yeah, when the speakers are 100 yards from the amp.

**Actually, not that far. Depending on the speaker, of course. And that is
the difference between you and me. You state, unequivocally, that speaker
cables are all the same. I argue that certain systems can benefit from low
inductance cables. IOW: You are wrong.

At least I do not
con people into believing the audio equivalent of the tooth
fairy.

**Sure you do. You rave about the books you write.

Interestingly, so have others raved about them. In any case,
getting into a insult-trading contest here is doing you a
hell of a lot more damage than it is doing me.

**I'm not insulting you. I'm simply stating fact.

Yet you have no in-depth
knowledge about the topic.

I know enough to be able to spot a con artist in action.

**You may well do so. You are also incapable of spotting people who actually
know their business, however.

Given that this series of posts is being read in Australia,
are you sure you care to continue?

**I have no problem with allowing you to make a complete idiot of yourself.

All you understand is the superficial stuff.

For guys like you, amp and wire scams are "superficial
stuff."

**Are they? I presume you have some actual evidence? A Google cite will be
fine.

You and your comments lack any kind of credibility.

This, from a guy who claims that his special amp (or one
that he sells, since I do not believe he designed it) has
qualities that set it apart from all other decently designed
versions. Yeah, it may sound different, but if so that is
because there is something seriously wrong with it.

**And yet, you speak from a position of extreme ignorance. You have no
technical abilities to understand what sets some amps apart form others.

I can fairly listen to the things, pal. I can compare at
matched levels and can determine that exotic technologies
notwithstanding, all good amps sound the same up to their
respective clipping levels. OK, with really wild and weird
speaker loads some amps have advantages. But with the
speakers most people use, amps is amps. And there are
conventional amps out there that are also able to handle
rather weird loads. They may cost a bit more, but there is
still nothing exotic about their design.

**How would you know?

You
have no experience with the amp in question anyway.

I have heard and compared enough good amps to know that if
your amp sounds different from them there is something wrong
with it.

**IOW: You don't know.

Go study up on the Dewey
Decimal System (or whatever is used in libraries now) and get back to
us.

Why on earth would you want to learn about a library
cataloging system that went out of date decades ago?

**Exactly. It has as much relevance to all of us, as your comments about
audio equipment. You have no real knowledge about what you speak.

I can spot a con artist, and it this day and age that is
more important than the ability to spout technical jargon
and rave about one's experience repairing and installing
gear.

**It is very important, when discussing why an amp shuts down, when turned
up to moderate levels. And it is in this area where your knowledge is sadly
lacking.

Even better, you could actually learn some circuit analysis and engage
in
some practical experience and get back to us. Of course, you could
always
admit your error and apologise to those who actually understand.

About amps and wires?

**About the lies you wrote about me. About your incorrect assumptions.
About
much, much more.

OK, here is your chance to repent.

**Repent what, exactly? Be precise and use Google quotes as often as you
feel necessary.

Admit that all good amps
sound the same up to their respective clipping points when
driving normal speaker loads and admit that for home-audio
applications good,

**I will admit that all amps, which demonstrate identical specs, do, indeed,
sound identical.

decently thick lamp cord works as well as
exotic speaker wire.

**For most systems, yes. For SOME systems, no.

If you say that I will apologize for
what I have written about you.

**No, you won't. You're pig-ignorant. You will NEVER apologise to me.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au