Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
The size of lossy-compressed video files is shall we
say, negotiable. ;-)

Just how much extra compression can you apply and still
call it HD Arny?

AFAIK, there is no standard.

Of course not, I was asking for your definition.

My answer would be subjective. ;-)

I have worked out some methogologies for estimating the
actual amount of data that my HDTV capture card is
processing for various TV shows. There is at least a 3:1
variation in data rate among network and local programs
that display as a 16:9 picture and are labelled as being
HDTV.

It's already a compressed format after all.

It appears that the amount of compression can be
controlled locally.

Of course it can, and you can end up with a so called
"HD" stream that consists of a few visible blocks on the
screen if you really want. Certainly NOT my definition of
HD/Blu Ray anyway!!!! But you may be happy with ACTUAL
picture quality lower than DivX for all I know :-)

It appears that the acceptability of lower data rates can be modified by
artistic means.

It's a bit like my pet peeve of 480 line plasma's coming
with HD tuners and calling themselves HD. Some people are
sucked in of course, and that's the whole point.

I haven't seen a lot of that going on around here. In fact there seems to be
a lot of 1080 mania. FWIW the 24" LCD I use for HDTV is 1920 x 1280.