Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Zoom H6

"Neil Gould" writes:

-snips-

Your experience is unlikely to be due to the crossovers. If a driver/cabinet
design doesn't provide low bass the crossover can't add any.

Don't forget the room!!!

A small edit suite, with little or no treatment, could really wreck the LF. A little
larger living room, and you might just get lucky, especially with a few room peaks
centered on a few key pedal notes.

A little larger room and you could get a little more lucky.

In the 1970s I used 4310s, 4320s, and 4333s.

- the 4310s were pretty awful until the midrange driver polarity was flipped.
Apparently, this mis-wiring was a known manufacturing defect for some production
runs. The 4311s were slightly better, but I didn't use them on a regular basis.

- the 4320s were honky/snarky, but improved with soffet mounting in good rooms. I
heard several at Opryland. And while not overly pleasant listening, you could get
good mixes out of them.

- the 4333s were an amazing step up. Sweet sounding (though somewhat artificial),
and they sounded remarkable in a good room. First heard and used them at Kaye-Smith
in Seattle. They did require added bottom via room EQ if not in soffits.

My $0.02.

(I much prefer my SGM10Bs.)

Frank
Mobile Audio