Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Zoom H6

John Williamson wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/1/2013 2:44 PM, John Williamson wrote:

Brilliant is how the Sony PCM-D50 handles "overs." It's always
recording a backup stereo track 10 dB or so below the primary
recording.. When it detects an overload, it automatically replaces the
overloaded portion with the backup track and normalizes it so that it
goes to full scale, but not clipped.

Just out of interest, does it do the trick by just reducing the digital
output from the ADC or does it have an analogue signal path with levels
10dB below the one in use?

I don't know, but I screamed really close to the mics with the input
gain up full and what came out wasn't clipped. I suspect that it's
possible to overload the front end feeding the "emergency" track at some
point - it's not absolutely foolproof, but the record level control
appears to work right at the input stage, or else it has a phenomenal
amount of headroom. I could put +28 dBu or so into the external line
inputs, turn the input level control so that the meters were below full
scale, and not have clipping.

Sounds like a facility worth having, then.

If you don't, there is always the old reporter's trick of recording two
channels with 20 dB of gain between them, then picking the right one on
playback. Very common back in the day when radio reporters would use
cassette machines of very limited dynamic range and often have to leave
them unattended at a lectern where they could not ride gains during a
speech.