Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Zoom H6

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

One last general comment. The truest truism we can state about all of this
recording and playback of live sounds is that you can't tell what your
recordings sound like until they are played back. This sounds like a
triviality, but what it means is, when I send George a recording or when he
sends me one, we don't really know what the other will hear from it! It's
kind of like Floyd Toole's circle of confusion. We make recordings that will
sound good on our systems, then we make judgements about the recording based
on that system and judgements about our systems based on our recordings.

No, this isn't a truism at all. If it were, we'd all be out of a job.
It's the job of the engineer to make a good prediction about what things
will sound like coming out of the microphone before they even hit the tape
machine. Yes, listening on reference monitors might make you change a
few things, but using your ears and some smarts will be enough to make good
predictions about the sound. Just because YOU can't do it yet doesn't mean
it's not possible.

Secondly, recordings made should translate well between reference systems
and sound similar between reference systems, as long as those systems are
more or less designed with the same set of rules. Yes, if you're using
the 901 ****tifiers they will sound different than they do through a normal
playback chain, but that's very much an outlier. Engineers doing pop and
rock music will often use multiple degraded "check mix" monitoring system
as well as the standardized monitors in order to tell what recordings will
sound like with degraded playback, and _that_ is something that can be hard
to tell even with a lot of experience.

Still, all of these things that you keep citings as truisms and absolutes
are actually just the result of your lack of experience and improper
monitoring system. I hate to break it to you.

If I am to be faulted because I have my own ideas about audio, then join the
crowd because very few audio engineers agree about anything, much less
recording or playback technology. We are all on our own, but I do indeed
listen.

No, you can be faulted because you really don't know what you're doing,
you have no experience in a normal studio environment, and you are telling
people who have worked thirty years in professional studios that they are
doing their job wrong.