Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/1/2013 1:54 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

the TASCAM DR-680

Looks like a nice little recorder for $300 more. Doesn't seem as
easy to mount on a stand and use as a video dual system recorder.
Oops - doesn't have any built in mikes anyway.

No, it's not intended to be mounted on a stand. Microphones are
intended to be mounted on a stand.

You didn't say you wanted a microphone, too. I thoght you wanted to
experiment with real microphones, and that's why you wanted those
external inputs. If you can live with the built-in microphones plus
two external ones, consider the TASCAM DR-40.

OK fellers, see if you can absorb all of this information at once.

1. I am not a professional recording engineer and don't want or need an
$8000 recorder. This is not because I am stubborn.

2. I have been able to coax great performance out of small, inexpensive
digital recorders. I don't think spending a lot more would yield a lot
better results, any more than an expensive DAC would sound that much better
than a reasonable one, or a CD player, or any of a number of examples that
we are all familiar with.

3. I do two things with these little recorders: Audio and video. In audio I
am experimenting with and recording for their purposes, a local band. For
this I need a good recorder with multiple powered XLR inputs for good
microphones. In video I record the sound for double system sound tracks for
video production. Think of plays, music events etc. For this use I need a
small recorder on a mike stand that has its own built-in microphones.

4. I have experimented with spaced omni both widely spaced 3 mikes and 1
meter spaced two mikes, MS, NOS, ORT-F, and of late my own configuration
with 3 cardioids.

5. I use Bose 901s in my home system because of a life-long study of the
spatial nature of sound. My paper is called An Image Model Theory for
Stereophonic Sound. The 901s do not sound mushy, poopy, overly diffuse or
misguided if used properly. Quite the opposite, they are the only correctly
designed speaker in the world at present. My prototype speakers are designed
along those lines ( a shaped radiation pattern designed around image
modeling the typical live sound presentation) and the latest ones beat the
Behringers and Linkwitz Orions in the Linkwitz Challenge at the AES. Long
story shorter, you haven't heard my system so take your own advice and
withhold judgement until you do.

Gary Eickmeier