Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Thanks for the considered reply, but I am not a novice. I am a 30 year
member of the AES.

That is plonkable.

I don't really think that learning recording is going to be as
difficult as you describe. Nor is placing microphones that big a
mystery.

I have learned a great deal in this last year about
coincident vs spaced, omni vs directional, all of the various
microphone positioning patterns such as MS and XY and ORT-F and NOS.
Just when I thought I had narrowed down my list of acceptable
techniques I observe a recording engineer friend of mine putting his
DPA omnis on a stand with a spacing of about 18 inches! And the sound
he gets is so rich, precise, and great stereo, that is the method
that I copied last season for the concerts, except I spaced mine more
like 3 feet.

Search term "The Stereophonic Zoom".

That's a long way of saying, simply, that I am not going to try
monophonic recording for a while until I learn what sound is.

First you learn to record mono, I by design started with that back when I
taught myself to record, next that using a spaced cardioids I needed to also
deploy a center omni. I got something right with those first recordings and
got seriously stung by an incompetent engineer who failed to grasp
Sennheisers diagrams for wiring a -N and a -HL so that I ended up recording
with one microphone out of phase.

Eventually I joined a tape recordists club and found out about how to deploy
closely spaced cardioids. Sat in on a lot of recordings and learned what
happens when you do what with the main pair and eventually also learned to
trust only myself. While I do think that you need to listen more, to your
setup and to suggestions, I also kinda think it is right that you do what
you durn well want. What I mean is that you need to learn what is good about
what other folks here advocate before you settle on your style of sound
reocrding.

Nuff' said.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen