Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

In article , Scott

On 2013-08-06 02:39:07 +0000, said:

The best stereo recordings I have heard were recorded out of doors,
with the microphones separated by a large distance, thus eliminating
much of the reverb and delay except that which comes off the ground.
The worst are generally those which have the mics on the same mount,
but pointed in different directions.

can you name titles? I can't imagine such recordings even coming close
to those made by certain audiophile labels or the golden age classical
recordings or some of the current crop of high quality classical
recordings.

I agree. I've made recordings out-of-doors (not my call) and mostly they
were junk. Extremely dry, with absolutely no sense of space. If, like me,
you agree that the best recordings are those where the instruments
themselves are not miked, but rather the space they occupy is miked,
then you can see that out-of-doors, you are forced to mike the
instruments because obviously, one can't mike infinity (all outdoors).
With no boundaries (walls, ceiling) the sound just disappears. I don't
find it possible to make good STEREO recordings outside. You might be
able to make good multi-channel mono recordings by close-miking
everything and then mixing them together to synthesize right, left and
center channels and then add some artificial reverb, but that's not
really stereo (by definition and in MY personal estimation).

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---