Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:15:35 AM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:
Scott wrote:

On Monday, August 5, 2013 1:32:20 PM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:

To miss out on great performances because we don't like the PA System
Wasn't it you who said this just a couple posts ago?

"Sure, I agree with that. There is something very alienating about
arena concerts. I went to one or two and swore that I never would
again."

is that not missing out on great performances because you don't like
the PA system?

Not really. I think it's because the whole thing turns into an event
that seems more like a Nuremberg rally than a concert.

And who'd deny that? It's a question of which is to be the master,
that's all.

And I'm still appalled that Mr. Empire would miss out on a great
musical experience because he doesn't like PA systems.

Clearly he didn't think the experience was all that great.

How would he know? He left.

Have you ever stuck your head in a fire? No? Then how do you know
that it would be an unpleasant experience?

See, some things one just KNOWS aren't good either because it's
common knowledge or because they've had a related experience.
For instance, everybody has burned themselves on a stove or a
hot pot at some point. Therefore one doesn't have to actually
stick their head in a proverbial fire to know that it's not something
one would want to do. I know what a PA system sounds like, or
more precisely, I know that one doesn't sound anywhere near
as good as do the same instruments unamplified. Since I attend
live performances as much for the sound as I do for the music,
staying for a sound reinforced performance would be, in my
estimation, elementary purpose defeating. I don't want to waste
my time on a less than satisfactory experience. I don't see how
I could possibly make the situation any clearer that that, Andrew.

Andrew.