Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
sid[_3_] sid[_3_] is offline

Default Has your memory card ever worn out?

nospam wrote:

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Pretty hard for the "boot" (system) drive to avoid being written
on as the system operates.

There is no reason that it needs to be written to. In
fact it is very easy to have a system that boots from a
DVD!

Doesn't that make it a bit difficult to add kernel extensions
(drivers)?

Drivers and other kernel extensions are linked dynamically in
RAM, not on disk (which indeed is the way it was accomplished
up through the 1980's).

but to add them, you must have a writeable volume.

No, you must have a *readable* volume.

no, you must have a *writeable* volume. how do you add something to a
volume that is only readable? you *can't*. it is *not* possible. there
has be a way to *write* the new kernel extensions or whatever else
you're adding to the system.

If I have an os running from a DVD I can load a module into the running
kernel from that read only media. I can also remove a module from that
running kernel. No writing involved, just reading.

I don't know technically how it is achieved, I'm just a thicky builder, but
even I can do the loading/unloading modules thing.

--
sid
RLU 300284