Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
Floyd L. Davidson Floyd L. Davidson is offline

Default Has your memory card ever worn out?

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Look at all those distribution "live DVD" disks. They're pretty
common.

what about them? how many people boot off a live dvd as part of their
normal day to day usage? nowhere near as many who boot off a hard drive
or ssd.

some computers, namely ultrabooks, don't even have dvd drives. sure you
could hook one up, but that defeats the point of having an ultrabook.

just because something is possible doesn't mean it's commonly done.

Look at Android.

bad example. android writes back to flash, as does ios.

Look at all those millions of WIFI routers.

why? embedded devices are single purpose devices and do not have swap
space, so they do not count.

Sheesh, even the WT-5 wireless from Nikon runs Linux that boots from
a read only device.

see above regarding embedded devices.

So you do admit it is not at all rare! It's easy to do, commonly
done, and if security is the most significant issue...

it is definitely rare. who boots off a dvd as part of their day to day
computer usage? almost nobody.

Who boots in day to day computer usage?

who said anything about booting every single day?

So you admit your point was non-sequitur to begin with.

the point is that a typical computer is almost always booted off a hard
drive, except in the rare case when a new operating system is being
installed to the hard drive from a dvd, and even that is going away
since operating systems are now dowloadable, no dvds needed at all.

That is true for what *you* do. But it is not necessarily true for
what many computers do. The typical firewall does not do that.

nevertheless, many people do shut down at night and boot in the morning
for reasons i don't understand, mainly windows users.

I rebooted my computers last week due to an extended
power outage. It was the first time in more than a year
that any of them had been rebooted.

and you no doubt booted off a hard drive, not a dvd.

But that still misses the point. Whether you or I commonly
boot our desktops from a hard disk is not the point in question.

Note that I did *not* boot my router from a hard disk!

With the single exception of my WIFI router that gets
rebooted about once every two weeks. It of course boots
from the r/o device you say is so rare as to never be
used.

you clearly need a better wifi router. anything that needs to be
rebooted every two weeks has some serious problems.

You clearly don't have a clue do you.

i have several wifi routers and they all run 24/7 and i don't remember
the last time they were rebooted. it's been years.

So. That has no significance to the discussion.

The point still remains that there are multimillions of
systems out there being boot *every day* from r/o devices.

and multi-billions that aren't.

That has no significance to the discussion. It's is not
a question of whether virtually all systems do this or
that, or even if most do this or that.

Try using a little logic and to be focused on the
discussion.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)