Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default Noob Ohm Issue 2 vs 8

bob zee wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:

What he said! No matter what you do, Bob, it should be an improvement over NO
subs, so you really can't go wrong at this point

Heck yeah. I have a 90 minute drive to work (same back home) and my
stock stereo is beginning to clip (?) and cut-out sooner and sooner
everyday. I thought it was overheating, but it was 34° this morning.
I normally keep the volume at about 75% of full for my whole drive.
Today, I could obtain no more than 15 minutes of 75% and then it would
only 'clear up' at 50% volume.

You know, if your stock system has no amp, I'd DEFINITELY recommend adding
one... like I said, you could run your subs wired for two ohms off two channels
of that amp, and your other speakers off the other two channels - even if you
have four speakers, you can wire the front and rear in parallel and run them off
the two remaining channels. I have a similar setup in my car with a Kenwood
four-channel amp: two channels running the front and rear speakers parallelled,
and the other two bridged to run a single 10" JL sub.