Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default Noob Ohm Issue 2 vs 8

Captain_Howdy wrote:
It will cut your power output in half. Seeing the wattage that you have listed
for this amp is in "Peak Power" you should get around 50 - 60 watts RMS per
coil cranked up. As for your SQ, I have always found that under powering a sub
sounds like a wet fart and I have also found this to be even more true when
using lite duty amps such as Crunch. My advice is to try it out for yourself
and see how you like it.

In article .com, "bob zee"
wrote:

That is what I figured. I was really just looking for some
confirmation.
What will 8ohm do to my SQ or am I worrying for no reason?

One other option would be to run each pair of channels in mono rather than
bridged mode, then wire each coil individually to each channel, but that really
won't give you any more power, and can be tricky when setting levels properly to
match.

Frankly, you'll get more output and possibly cleaner sound by wiring the subs
for two ohms (coils in parallel) and simply running them off two of the four
channels without bridging. The other two channels are left unused... or use
them for a pair of your full-range speakers, if you don't already have an amp
for those.