Norman M. Schwartz

Default Advice on replacing an Ampzilla cooling fan?

Which version of this GAS unit do you have? I owned the original (model with
crazy lettering logo). The fan was very noisy, and I reduced it by elevating
it up from the shelf. I put 4 of my kid's building blocks beneath the feet
and most of the noise was gone, as if it were in large part caused by the
rush of air upon the shelf surface. My Ampzilla IIi, never remained in
repair long enough for me to be bothered the fan noise (which was far less).
I think you are extremely fortunate in having a working unit. (None of the
GAS amps generated the current required to drive speakers of 4 ohm
impedance, so mine ended up driving a pair of Stax headphones.) My GAS unit
is really idling since is too big to use as a doorstop and not owning a
boat, I'm not in any need of an anchor.

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message
I need advice on replacing the cooling fan on my GAS Ampzilla.
The current fan was too loud, so I tried slowing it down with an
inline resistor. I got the voltage so low that the fan will not
even spin unless I reach inside and give the blade a spin. That
is both easy to forget and annoying to do.

Can I replace this with a computer cooling fan? What size do I
need? How about a speed control? My Ampzilla needs very little
cooling, but if the fan is all the way off it will overheat after
a few hours.

Advice please.

Thanks,
Phil