Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Before I spend too much...

On 7/4/2019 7:05 AM, Bill wrote:
I'm firmly in the leave the warts in camp (within reason), and have a
particular fetish about being able to hear perspective in a recording.
Particularly when mixing straight down to stereo (eg for live broadcast)
in pop, country or folk music, where I hate the way that many engineers
spend ages faffing about with multiple drum mics, leaving little time
for the rest of the sound check.

This is just about the only thing I do. Drums, if they show up at all,
get a kick, snare, and overhead mic. And, of course, if it's an outdoor
show, there's plenty of noise that doesn't come from the instruments.

Do I expect anyone to listen to the recording over and over like they do
with pop music? Nope. Maybe listen to it three or four times over the
next 20 years to remind them of the fun they had seeing the band on
stage. Or maybe listen to a song a few times in order to learn it - so
the vocals have to be good.

Sound check? Who gets a sound check?