Roger W. Norman

Default Yamaha NS 10 Amp?

Well, one would question what the front end has to do with the back end, but
with $300 bucks you might as well save your money. A lot of people have
gone on and on about NS10s blowing tweeters, but then you usually find some
time after that they've been running 50 watts per channel and trying to hit
110 dB in their listening environment.

SO, some people have decided that the best way to handle the situation is to
put a fuse between the woofer and the tweeter so that when you drive DC into
the tweeter from over-burdening your amp, you'll save the tweeter. I'm of
the firm opinion that you save the music and realize that no speaker likes
to speak "DC" and plan accordingly, like putting up a nicely sized amp with
plenty of headroom for transient peaks and simply get your system to react
in a specific way time after time and you'll never have a blown speaker,
plus the Yammies just might give you some music.

Now when it comes to amplifiers, there are a couple of differences that
might cost more or less, and you'll have to figure that out. Switching
power supplies make for smaller amp packages with greater power, but older
amps might offer sufficient power and require more space. Of my amps I'm
running QSCs and Crests of older lineage, and although they get warm, they
were 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.

But let me make it clear. To use monitors, any monitors, you need to not
just hook the speakers up, but do some preventative thinking and realize
what your space is like, what those speakers will do, and what the amps are
capable of. Once you get those factors under your belt you will find that
you can actually hear very minor differences even with NS10s. Consistency
is the key and knowing where your system has, say, 85 dB peaks on an SPL
Meter (C weighted and slow on an RS meter) means that you'll be able to
measure anything you play on your system with a common reference. If hip
hop artists want to hear it as loud as your system will go, well, that's as
loud as your system will go. Solid sound quality will out in a situation
where volume introduces distortion of an unpleasant nature.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"trev" wrote in message
om...
Hey everybody!
What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.

Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

Thanks
Trevor