Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Default one click audio preview of 16 and 32 bit audio files?

"Jason Standard":

I have a situation where I have large numbers of audio files (wav, flac,
mp3) stored in various folders on several hard drives. Although I can do
Win search and bring up the files in one place, I wonder if there's
anything I can use to preview them without actually opening each one up in
a program. My DAW, Samplitude, allows one click preview of such files
without opening, but it only works on a per folder basis and not after
using something like Win search results. I tried making shortcuts of the
files found by Win search, but Samplitude sadly wouldn't preview the
shortcuts.

Any advice for a possible program that would do what I'm asking would be
welcome. I just want to one click and briefly hear each file no matter
where found and ideally in a Win search window if possible. Thanks!

You have probably already tried it, but the "preview pane" (or sidebar or
whatever it is called in English) in Windows Explorer works under Win7 (and
therefore newer versions as well).

Yes, it´s not really a one click solution, but rather two clicks - select
file + click play-button. ;-)

Plays every audio format, that´s supported by Windows Media Player without
having to open WMP with its own window and it works in a Windows Explorer
search window.
At least, it does not require installation of yet another program.

Phil