\Granma\ Dave Schein II, CSO

wow! NEAT!

It makes total sense, but I had never thought about it in terms of Doppler.
I have found this to be a problem with my home stereo, and I've solved it in
my own experience by using crossovers and filters to isolate the output of
the speakers.

A question about the Leslie, though: I thought the Leslie had two speakers,
one high and one low, rotating at user-defined rates. Would that cause
Doppler, or simply a tremolo effect based around the directionality of the
speaker? I.e., if the speaker is pointed away from the microphone (or ear),
the volume would be softer, and vice-versa?

Thank you for your information,

-gran

--
Dave Schein II, CSO
Printergy, Inc. - Moving a Million Documents to the Web!

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
""Granma" Dave Schein II, CSO" wrote in message

In layman's terms, what, exactly, is Doppler Distortion?

http://www.swee****er.com/insync/word.php?find=Doppler

The Doppler effect, named after a German physicist (how come things are
always named after a German physicist?), is the apparent change in pitch

of
the sound that occurs when the source of the sound is moving relative to

the
listener. For example: A car horn will sound higher in pitch as it
approaches, and lower in pitch after it passes us. This is one principle
that is employed in a rotating speaker system like a Leslie. The rapid
movement of the horn to and away from the listener creates a sort of

vibrato
effect. There are many modern effects units that simulate the Leslie

sound,
and also offer other types of Doppler effects.

If a loudspeaker is producing both low and high frequencies, the low
frequencies will cause the cone to move alternatingly toward and away from
the listener (obviously high frequencies do this too, but the lows are

much
more pronounced). As this is happening the perceived pitch of the higher
frequency sounds rise and fall at a rate (or rates) equal to the low
frequencies moving the cone. This is actually Frequency Modulation of the
high frequency by the low frequency, and is called "Doppler Distortion."

It
manifests itself as a sort of "muddiness" (subjective audio term #108) of
the sound.