Robert Morein

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Doppler distortion obviously exists. The question is one of how audible it

is.

My feelings are "not very." You don't hear people who own full-range
electrostatics complaining about Doppler distortion.

Consider the following. Suppose an electrostatic speaker is reproducting

60Hz at
a peak-to-peak excursion of 0.25". That means its maximum velocity would

be
around 30 inches per second. That's less than 1/4 of 1% of the speed of

sound!

I really, really doubt that's audible.

Electrostatics should be less prone to doppler than many other speakers,
because of the large diaphram size.
1/4" is an impossible excursion for an electrostatic, because electric force
is much weaker than magnetic force.
The diaphrams of these speakers move minutely, inversely proportional to the
size of the diaphram for a given SPL.

The most serious examples would be:
1. a two-way, with a bass/mid driver that's really pumping
2. A three-way with a small driver optimized for dispersion, in which case
both the bass and mid drivers might be stressed.

I'm not commenting on the audibility of Doppler, only that an electrostat is
not a good example.

I do own Acoustat 2+2's, and I do not complain about Doppler distortion
Unless it were introduced to me in a laboratory setting, I would have no way
of recognizing it.