Steven Sullivan

Default Ears vs. Instruments

Daniel wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:zjzTa.126977$N7.18539@sccrnsc03...
Daniel wrote:
The *only* thing I said about wire is that I don't believe one sounds
any better than any other. I'm *beyond* skeptical. I tried different
speaker wires, and found no difference, even while using a pair of
very revealing B&Ws.

I didn't say word one about amps.

All I asked -- and which you have edited out -- was for the OP, Steven
Sullivan, to tell us in which ads companies made "dubious claims." I
wanted more facts, and instead of providing any beyond the link to
taralabs.com, he assumed all sorts of things about me and what I do
and don't believe.

Sorry, it looked to me like you weren't really that interested in reading the
ad copy. If I'm goign to do the work of skimming through the ad copy
of back issues, I want to know that you really care. IN the meantime,
you could just visit the websites of high-end cable manufacterers,
one example of which I gave. Another would be www.cardas.com
How many examples will you require?

I thought it was interesting, and wanted to go through some of my
magazines and see what was "dubious." I had hoped SS would provide
some examples. He hasn't as of yet, or at least I haven't seen them. I
would still like to know.

Very well, then, I'll get you some. What will be my reward for
my educational efforts, I wonder?

I guess my hope was that you'd have other types of equipment -- amps,
speakers, CD players -- to tell about. I'm already on your side when
it comes to cable and wire. I'm somewhat down on high-end audio as a
hobby and, even more, as a way to spend money, and wanted to know
about dubious claims in these other areas.

OK, I'll specifically look for amp and digital player ads. I haven't
seen any crazy speaker ads lately, aside from which, it's possible
for speakers to sound very different from each other.

If you don't mind, I might also throw in some typically unsupported
claims from reviews and editorials.

--
-S.