Bob Marcus

Default Ears vs. Instruments

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...

I received a call from a class-action lawyer a couple moths ago wondering if I
thought that there was a case in the wire promotion.

I told him that I thought not because although the 'white papers' and web-sites
might be actionable the ads relied mostly on testimonial copy. And that anybody
that spent good money on wire without investigating first probably was
deserving of everything he got.

I wonder who he'd get for clients. Everyone I know who buys this snake
oil actually believes in it. The class of plaintiffs who spent
megabucks on cables and then decided they were ripped off must be
vanishingly small.

Besides, the defendants would have no trouble finding oodles of
witnesses to insist that the cables really did sound better, exactly
like the white papers promised. (Funny thing, that.) It's hard to
prove consumer fraud when you're facing a boatload of satisfied
customers.

Cables promise to increase your enjoyment of your audio system, and
all evidence suggests that the people who buy them do indeed enjoy
their audio systems more for having done so. They may be foolish to
believe this, but selling things that make foolish people happy is not
fraud.

bob