Chris Hornbeck

On 18 Jun 2005 18:54:40 -0700, wrote:

a friend wants me to make a CD of classical solo piano for her. she
owns a wonderful bosendorfer 7'4" grand piano, but it is in her dinky
living room in a small house - maybe 22'x 11' at most, with 8' ceiling,
sheetrock walls, carpet floor. i am thinking of a close-spaced pair of
DPA 4061s right up inside the piano, and a spaced pair of 4006s out in
the room (about 6 feet out), and then blend to taste when mixing. any
other ideas i should consider for this project? thanks.

Reading through all the good stuff already posted makes me wonder
if treating the existing room wouldn't be the most practical
solution. Maybe a serious, but temporary, ceiling deadening
with a sub-ceiling "flown" on supports from the floor, and an
over-floor as already suggested.

It might only be necessary to deaden the ceiling (and possibly
the walls) within about 10 feet of the instrument and microphones.
That'd give about 20 milliseconds; might be enough.

The pianist may hate it, and this matters, or may love it.
Making her a part of the process might help to tip the scales,
but I'm already *way* out of my league several paragraphs back.

Please keep the newsgroup updated with progress reports; it's
certainly an issue of great general interest.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck