Jon Yaeger

in article , Ian Iveson at
wrote on 5/17/05 9:43 PM:

"Guncho" wrote

Yeah! And curse the Kinks for sticking pencils in their speakers
to get
overdrive! If it it wasn't for them we would still be listening
to jug
bands and old timey music like we should be!

Of course! Now all guitar speakers come with pencils stuck in them,
we take them for granted.

I began by saying the popular "subjectivist" view was questionable,
not wrong. Actually it is quite true that "whether they like it or
not is totally subjective". What I question is whether it is
musical, which is the difficult and thorny issue.

If you fail to face that issue, then you end up with the untenable
view that *any* sound is music...that sound and music are identical,
and therefore music has no distinctive meaning.

The Kinks were part of a social movement and they were looking for a
particular sound. Messing about to no particular purpose is neither
of those things.

Of course there must be development, as I said. But progress is
social, and individuals can only grab the moment; ride the wave but
not create it. Certainly not by tinkering willy-nilly.

Hyuck hyuck

Sorry, I'm from RAT and I don't understand this bit.

cheers, Ian

Could you define "musical"?

Cheers,

Jon