Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Tony Weber Tony Weber is offline

Default The Charts and 1-Hit Wonders

On 3/14/2012 8:28 AM, hank alrich wrote:
wrote:

On Mar 13, 1:38 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
wrote:
I was wondering if the stats for various years could be interpreted as
a reflection of the musical "discernment" (or demand) of the time, but
then I noticed "hits" are limited to Billboard magazine's top 100...

Well that has been the definition of a "hit" for a long time, and often
it did reflect sales, which derived from airplay.

Billboard is now falling on hard times, along with the industry it
served. Back when I was managing AWHQ it hit my desk weekly. At the time
it was a roadmap of much of the action, and who was behind whom and
what.

Yeah, understood - I guess I was just lamenting the common association
of "pop hit" with "good music".

But then again, it's like wine: "good wine is whatever you like".

Alison Kraus has made that chart.

My mistake. I thought it was "good wine is whatever you've got."