artbeat77

Default Dave Martin

He IS a great bass player, as well. That's how I met him... on one of
the worst jazz gigs ever. Not because of him, of course. That was what
made it tolerable. This singer, an older woman, came to Nashville from
New York for some convention, if I remember right, booked a night at
Cafe 123, then hired all of the musicians blindly. She was new to
singing "professionally," and did pay better than average.

Anyway, Dave invited me up to Java Jive to see the place. He ended up
putting on a bunch of music that I wasn't hip to, talking about the
engineering, phasing, and stuff. Pretty much gave me a lesson on how to
hear some finer details in the production, unsolicited and much
appreciated. I'm a "younger" musician (under 30), and really respect
great musicians that are willing to take the time to pass on what they
have learned in the interest of the preservation of good music.

Wow this just became a big ol' butt-kissing session, didn't it? :0)