Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Crosstalk in snake cable that include speaker cables and mic cables

The risk is higher if you are using a powered desk since so much more gain is available.

** I should point out that supersonic oscillations, while inaudible, will destroy high frequency drivers and seriously damage most power amplifiers in a few seconds.

.... Phil

Yep, thats what I was worried about, the magnetic coupling between the balanced lines has a high pass characteristic.

For the tests I ran, yes I had a mic connected and the other end connected to a mixer. The crosstalk was not present with the mic disconnected but was present with the mic connected. That makes sense that it is magnetic coupling that needs a closed circuit. The mic pairs are electrostatic shielded with foil so that should do a good job to drastically reduce capacitive coupling, but no so effective for magnetic coupling. But still the coupling is more effective at the higher frequencies so I was concerned about ultrasonic oscillations.

I plan to use these only for the stage monitors and will keep the high end EQd down in the amp.

I get all the theory but practice and theory don't always agree, that's why I am asking about real world experiences with these types of snakes.

thanks

Mark