Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Sample rate conversion question

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:55:55 -0400, "karle"
wrote:

Thanks for the answers. I would appreciate it if people contributed to the
problem instead raising questions without trying to answer those. I need
opinions here.

I disagree. IMO the framing of questions is the *only* important
thing. Answers are trivial bull****. Hey! Just like this one!

Treat this as if it were your own experiment and share your approach or
theory.

Until you frame the question better, you can't learn anything

Then please tell me how you would approach the question.

Cool. My approach to this, a topic that greatly interests me
BTW, is to look at the block diagram of the whole recording
and reproduction process. What blocks go into this diagram,
and how are they arranged?

A sufficiently interesting-fer-starters block diagram has just
a single linear chain from input signal to output signal. Call
it microphone to loudspeaker, to broaden the assumptions. Plenty
close enough for a conceptual start.

Within this linear chain are *multiple* conversions to-'n-from
various sampling rates and bit depths. This is the interesting
part (along with basic sampling theory).

Scott hinted at the missing link: " Note that most converters today
are sigma-delta converters so you already have some
internal rate conversion going on inside the box."

The non-trivial question is going to be related to something
very much other than "sampling rate" as expressed in an advert.
What *exactly* about the topic is interesting? That's the
non-trivial question.

All the best fortune,
Chris Hornbeck