Mike Rivers

In article writes:

My understanding is that it's a deliberate attempt to deal with the fact
that, these days, radio is often being listened to in noisy environments
in which a full dynamic range would lose the quieter portions or blast
the louder ones.

Nope, it's a matter that people have forgotten that their player has
a volume control, or they think that there's something wrong with
either the player or the media if they actualy have to USE that
control.

Initially the loudness race started with radio program directors.
They'd put a CD in the boom box on their desk and if it wasn't loud
enough, would pass on putting it on the air. Also, people who had a CD
changer or jukebox at home would get annoyed when a CD they selected
wasn't as loud as the last one they listened to, or if they actually
turned up the volume to listen to a quieter CD, that they had to get
up (or find the remote) and adjust the volume again when a louder CD
came up.

Now that a large number of people don't listen to whole CDs, but
rather selections from a variety of CDs set up as a "playlist" it's
even more annoyng when the volume changes from song to song.

So, the solution is just to make them all as loud as they can, since
there's a theoretical limit to that.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )