Robert Gault

Default Garrard Changer problem

Brent McKee wrote:
I have an old four speed Garrard Changer -- mid 1970s and pretty
basic, but I don't know the model no. -- and a fondness for 78s.
Problem is that the tone arm will no longer track all the way to the
end of the recorded part of the disc no matter how much weight I add
on. Net result is that whenever I try to play 78s it skips at exactly
the same place for each record. Is there a fix for this or am I SOL
and would find it easier and cheaper to buy a replacement that
works -- if I can find one?

Any chance it says "Type A" at the tone arm pivot?

You should turn the changer on its side and manually run it through the
full arm movement to determine what is causing the problem. One
possibility is the arm pick-up mechanism. In any event, you should be
able to spot the source of the problem and might be able to make an
adjustment to correct it.