Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE is offline

Default long lines of interesting and educational posts to usenet ;-)

Jim Candela wrote:
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 10:20:46 AM UTC-5, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
Hi y'all!
Just for your information,
lines longer than 78 characters make it uncomfortable for me
to read otherwise very interesting posts, since I still use
a conventional news-reader like slrn on a terminal.
Panning is possible but as I said: uncomfortable.
That is why usenet etiquette mentions:

RFC 1855 Netiquette Guidelines October 1995

- Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
with a carriage return.

This is even more restrictive than what I politely asked for, namely
78chars. I'm no usenet-police, just a reader speaking in my behalf.

I'm sorry to have ruffled a few feathers. As I said, your posts are
interesting and most welcome.

Have a nice day and keep up the good work.
Eike ZP6CGE

Any chance you can redefine your line to a higher number of characters?

If you want to use a special editor or just pass special arguments to
it, set the variable ``editor_command'' in your .slrnrc, e.g.:

set editor_command "vim '+set tw=72' +%d '%s'"

starts vim with a textwidth of 72 columns and the cursor on the first
line of the message's body. For a more detailed discussion of this,
see the entry ``editor_command'' in the reference manual.

http://www.slrn.org/docs/FIRST_STEPS.txt

Jim
Wd5JKO

Thank you for the heads-up. I was looking for this but couldn't find it.
I definitely looked in the wrong places.
Kind regards, Eike