r.berger

"TonyP" schreef in bericht

"r.berger" wrote in message
According to DIN standardisation the minimum impedance is 0.8 x nominal
impedance or the nominal impedance is 1.25 x the minimum impedance.
Consequently a speaker with a nominal impedance of 8 Ohm will have a

minimum
impedance not lower than 6.4 Ohm and a 4 Ohm speaker 3.2 Ohm. Thus a

speaker
with a minimum impedance of 4 Ohm has a nominal impedance of 1.25 x 4

Ohm
=
5 Ohm and could never be an 8 Ohm speaker (according to DIN).

Unfortunately I can't remember the last time I saw a speaker impedance
quoted according to DIN spec.
Maybe in Europe?

Yes, that is right.
The DIN standardisation for the nominal and minimum impedance is commonly
used in the European Union. But there are brands who apparently have their
"own
standards" which seem to vary to fit the design of the speaker. They seem to
think flattery will get them everywhere.
Most experienced European audio reviewers disapprove of this behaviour.
People who
know about this fiddling with figures experience it as misleading.
Ronald Berger.