Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 8:16:41 PM UTC-7, Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

In article ,
ScottW wrote:

I've heard a live snare drum in my listening room, I didn't like it and I
don't need nor want a speaker that can recreate that sound.

That's a good point. I used to play trumpet. I wouldn't want to hear
any instrument like that at full song in my living room. I want to be
50 or 100' away!

They have this new thing called a volume control. With a real stereo
recording, you can move as far away from the action as you want - and
still hear a reasonable facsimile of the original event. Yes, in that
way a stereo is superior to a live event. You get to pick your favorite
spot in the house from which to listen. And no, I don't believe that
anyone wants to literally have a complete symphony orchestra (or a rock
band) in their living room.

Changing the "volume" is an inaccuracy. There is more to the sound of
acoustic instruments that identify their distance from the listener
than just the volume. So if the SPLs are not in line with the other
audible characteristics of an acoustic instrument played from a
particular distance it just sounds less real.
Really, in a great concert hall you actually get a small increase in
perceived SPLs as you move from the front row the the mid orchestra
section. If the spectral content and transients of, say, a horn as
heard from a specific does not match the SPLs it doesn't sound closer
or further away as much as it just sounds less real.