Scott Gardner

Default waiting

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:32:34 -0500, (bob wald)
wrote:

scott in crutchfield....i think i just saw a top alpine, model
$1100.....n i dont think it was the 1 with the 7'' screen.
i dont think i ever saw a alpine other than in a show room at ''wrights
sound gallery''. i mean seen one in peron.

Shows what you know. I have an Alpine 7814 CD/receiver in one of my
cars. It's an older model, and I consider it inferior to my
JVC-KDSH77, which is even a few years old too. As a matter of fact, I
took the Alpine out of my Mercedes and put it in my Honda, so that I
could sell the Honda with the Alpine in it and keep the JVC.

And as for Crutchfield, they do have ONE regular-screen model in their
catalogue (the DVA-9965) that costs more than the CDA-9855 that I
mentioned earlier. It hasn't been released yet, and Crutchfield's
price is $1499. Every other model priced between the 9965 and the
9855 has a large-screen display, NAV, satellite radio, etcetera.
Plus, the $1500 DVA-9965 is still a DVD player, even though it doesn't
have a screen.

For a CD/MP3 deck without a large screen, the 9855 (soon to be
replaced by the same-price 9860) is still Alpine's flagship model, and
you can buy them all day for $350, regardless of what Crutchfield
charges for them.

And contrary to your earlier opinion, buying Alpine isn't like buying
"fine art". Any schlump with $300 can take his pick of a half-dozen
Alpine stereos and have it delivered to his door the next day. So,
they're neither limited nor "exclusive". The "Alpine" name might
impress people that don't know any better, though.

--
Scott Gardner

"What happens on cruise, stays on cruise." (Navy saying)