Harry Lavo

Default Shure V15 vs. Blue Point Special?

"J Bunnell" wrote in message
I'm considering upgrading my MMF-5 'table with a new cartridge. Both
the Shure V15 and the Sumiko BPS are on sale at AudioAdvisor. I've
been leaning toward the BPS for quite a while, wanting to try out an
MC cart for a change. But I've read great things about the V15 as
well.

Anyone with experience with one or both cartridges? Any significant
differences in sound, or installation ease?

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.

---
Jim

Have owned both. The Shure is very neutral and objectively very hard to
fault. It tracks at light forces in a low-to-medium mass arm. It just
never sounds ultimately "you are there, they are here".

The Blue Point Special is very much a moving coil..dynamic, vivid, a high
frequency sheen that can turn to brightness. Tracks at about 2 grams to the
Shure's 1, has a bit more finicky stylus to get to sound just right (in
other words is VTA sensitive), and requires an arm with absolutely no
resonance's or they will be excited. However, in the right arm in can
provide a large dose of MC magic at an affordable price.

Both cartridges operate just fine into standard 47k input resistance.

Safe choice is the Shure; I'd go for the Blue Point Special.