Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Stereo Raw

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

I am surprised that no one here can talk on the subject, or isn't
interested.

I'm a person who's more interested in understanding than knowing. Nothing
you've written has ever "clicked". Nothing has provoked the "Aha!"
reaction, where you see how things fit together, and how they relate to
other things we know to be true (or accept as being true).

Until you can provide these, you will continue to lead a one-man parade.

This is a fascinating divide. I know that you are a curious and well read
person William. You have agreed that what most here think about stereo being
able to communicate sounds from outside the speaker separation is not true,
or else we wouldn't need Ambisonics. I am getting the impression that these
folks wouldn't touch surround sound with an insulated pole.

Have you read any of Mark Davis's articles on what makes speakers sound the
way they do? Have you heard the differences among all of the speaker types
such as direct, omni, dipole? This is not rocket science, there are easily
observable reasons that the various speakers sound the way they do. The "Big
Three" of radiation pattern, positioning, and acoustical qualities of the
room combine to create the imaging that we hear. Is that wacko nutso to you?
To anyone here? Linkwitz asked those questions of the AES. I am answering
them. Does anyone know about all this? In answering those questions, about
which of the Big Three characteristics of speakers are better than others, I
put together some cheap prototype speakers for the blind testing and I won
the first round to the surprise of everyone there. I have now had some much
better versions of the speakers made and installed in my system, and they
work and work well. I still need a center channel built and that is
underway. Maybe I could run another series of blind tests to get some more
objective evidence for a future paper. I think a lot more work could be done
on this if I can just get the ideas out there.

I am here to learn recording and I was just trying to communicate something
very important that I have discovered about playback because of my statement
that "it ain't a recording until it gets played back." If I send a recording
to you, or you to me, what each of us hears will not be the same from the
same recording. I am very concerned that there is no standard for playback,
or that what people seem to be settling on is not the best it can be (see
the Beolab 5 controversy in previous posts).

Maybe there is no settling this except a listening test for preference. I
should be getting the center channel speaker in a couple of months and then
I believe I could win against all comers. Does anyone get down to Florida on
vacation? I am in central Florida, Lakeland.

Ralph Glasgal is another iconoclast like me who has designed and built his
own ideas on how sound playback should be done. I would love to make it up
there sometime and have him down here. Just doesn't seem to happen as time
goes by.

Gary