Lord Hasenpfeffer

Default Advantage of tape over MD?

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

You *cannot* increase the average level of a piece of music
(while avoiding clipping) without affecting the dynamics of the piece.

If the levels of the original peaks are as far from Full Scale as the
peaks of MFSL's DSoTM CD are I can. As can be clearly seen in my
screenshot, I easily increased the average level of the WAV encompassing
that entire album by +4.5dB and introduced no limiting, compression, or
clipping to the waveform of the work.

This is not simply a matter of comparing the highest peak with the
lowest trough,

I didn't compare the highest peak to the lowest trough. If anything, I
compared the levels of the highest and lowest peaks; both of which are
located above 0dB.

but of observing the *transfer curve* which determines the relationship
of loud and quiet passages.

I *think* I've just used different words to describe the same thing.

In order to 'normalise' to a different average level, you must be
changing something, yes?

Correct. It's called "the amplitude" (and nothing more). This is
important when working with lossy compression schemes which employ, in
part, methods of psychoacoustic filtering designed to remove frequencies
from sound sources which are "too quiet to be heard" by the human ear.

If it's not a simple matter of increasing the level of the entire CD
(aka turning up the volume control),

My screenshot reveals that that is in fact all that I have done with the
original WAV.

then you are clearly messing with the internal dynamics, and
introducing a form of 'soft limiting'. This should be obvious.

Where in the screenshots that I have provided do you find any evidence
that 'soft limiting' has indeed been applied to the original WAV? I
don't believe it has. If it had been, your point would be valid.

If *you* like the sound of that, then fine,

No, I like the sound of my MP3 after I've amplified the original WAV as
opposed to the sound of an MP3 encoded directly from the original WAV.

but please don't jump onto this forum crowing that you've 'whopped
the ass' of MFSL, because that just makes you look like a brain-dead
ten-year-old with a new toy.

Whoops! Looks like I've been outed!

Myke

--