Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Silly Question: Can an 8 Ohm Speaker on a 16 Ohm Output of a TubeAmp, Blow out the Main Fuse?

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 1:06:13 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
This is on an Ampeg VT-60 amp. Here is the schematic:

https://ampeg.com/support/files/Sche...SCHEMATICS.pdf

It was the main AC fuse F1, a 2.5 Amp Slow-Blow fuse, that was blown open..

Then I noticed the single 12" 8 Ohm speaker, was incorrectly hooked
up to the 16 Ohm output. Was this possibly the cause of the blown
fuse?

Some people on the internet, feel that with tube guitar amps, the
impedance of the speaker is not as critical as it is with solid-state
amps, and that the main danger is to have a no-load condition (an open).

_______

According to some of the 'experts' on here, those back side labels for impedance are "meaningless". So you can suppposedly mix and match if you like. I suppose those guys also put 50psi air in their tires - even if their vehicle placard calls for 33-35.

I choose to follow what the label says. I prefer higher impedance speakers anyway, even if 2-4ohm is the trend now for home speakers.