Posted to rec.audio.high-end
abbeynormal abbeynormal is offline

Default Electrostatics, anyone?

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 5:24:46 AM UTC-8, Greg Berchin wrote:
On 4 Mar 2017 12:15:28 GMT, "Ed Presson" wrote:

All of these ESLs, seemed to me to have a limited dynamic range and lose
their transparency when pushed by large
orchestral works.

I have always wondered whether this seemingly universal impression of
electrostatics has been caused by their being driven improperly.
Conventional wisdom is that electrostatics are voltage-driven devices,
but strict application of Gauss' and Coulomb's Laws indicates that they
are actually charge-driven. When driven by voltage, the force on the
diaphragm changes as excursion changes. When driven by charge, the force
is independent of excursion.

can you tell me your impression of what electrostats would sound like if somehow they were driven differently?