Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Henig Jeff Henig is offline

Default A Chuck Hicks Post

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might
enjoy the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of
signal-to-noise ratio I've ever read.

Enjoy:

"With me, it all began with music.

I am a musician, born into a family of musicians. I love music. Music
moves me. Music shapes my life. My world is full of music. Sadly the
world is also full of noise.

To me, music affirms, calms, challenges, encourages, heals, lifts and
nurtures. To me, noise irritates, incites, annoys, diminishes and
destroys. I guess the challenging part is determining the difference
between the two.

What puzzles me is that much noise is called music and many cannot seem
to see the destructive properties which they are embracing. It seems
that it would be wise to be attentive to that which we listen... that
which subtly effects our moods, our health, our attitudes and our actions.

There is power in music. It should be respected. Today is a fine time to
give consideration to that which goes into us... and perhaps in due
course we might be so fortunate as to realize how it wonderfully effects
that which comes from within us."

--
---Jeff

---