Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb Richard Webb is offline

Default Can we kill the spammers?

To: Danny T
Danny T wrote:
No. This is a Usenet newsgroup. Nobody "runs" it,
certainly not Google.
Usenet is a peer-to-peer network of thousands of NNTP
servers around the globe. Google is just one of these thousands
of peer servers. Most of us do NOT read this newsgroup
on Google.

Then where does all this information set at rest? Doesn't it *have*
to sit somewhere?

YES, on each site's news server, just as with bulletin boards such as fidonet.
each usenet host stores the articles for the groups it carries on its own
disks. THat's why some of us object to stupidity and flame wars so strongly.
THey cause valuable posts to scroll off news servers.

There are folks can point you to info on nntp and how it really works. I see
SCott has already given you some.
AS to your musing why people give away bandwidth, etc.
A lot of usenet servers in the early days before we dumbed it down were run by
colleges and universities, institutions of learning. USenet was a great
facility for independent study and learning.

I'm replying to your message from a
bulletin board system I operate which is part of FIdonet. Eventually when
we're broadband internet it will be available via telnet http and ftp. WHy do I
give of my time and effort, not to mention money? TO assist people who give of
their time to volunteer as emergency communications personnel. TO assist these
volunteers my system has info available which will help them. AS a side
benefit it carries other discussion groups as well.

NOw that you've received some insight into usenet/nntp I hope that will
influence your activities in another newsgroup in which many here in this one
participate.

Regards,
Richard
.... Just when you think you're winning the rat race along come faster rats!
--- timEd 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Radio REscue net operations BBS (1:116/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
* Derby City Online - Louisville, KY - telnet://derbycitybbs.com