Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Can we kill the spammers?

Anahata wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

So the answer is still "ignore it." I have feeling, now that the door
has been left open, that it won't go away.

The door's been open for decades in the sense of newsgroups being
accessible to spammers - in fact the term "spam" (and the concept)
originated on newsgroups in days when it wasn't so easy to harvest
private email addresses. I think the spammers turned to email because
the latter reaches a much bigger audience now.

Well, it used to be, when a site produced spam, they got disconnected pretty
quickly. These days it's been a long time since the Usenet Death Penalty
has been enacted.... there are just too many big backbone sites that don't
care about keeping things clean.