John Atkinson

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

chung wrote in message
Michel Hafner wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
Not sure I grasp your point Mr. Hafner. If you want to record in DSD,
and you are not Philips or Sony, you have only 3 choices for an A/D
converter: the dCS, the Meitner, and, I assume, the converter in
Tascam's relatively new HS-98 MDM tape machine. I haven't heard
anything about the Tascam's converter; I am told the Meitner and the
dCS sound different from one another, with each having its advocates.
So, if I wanted to compare the mike feed with a DSD representation
of the same, and you feel the dCS is not appropriate, which converter
would you recommend?

My point is that the dCS is not a pure high res PCM system.

But there are _no_ "pure" hi-rez LPCM A/D converters. All the ones that I
know of use a sigma-delta architecture of some kind, followed by
decimation and downsampling.

snip
Information theory clearly says that 24/192 is superior as a storage
format than 1 bit DSD at 2.8 MHz.

Of course.

So assuming DSD sounds closer I have to suspect implementation issues
as the reason for this.

And again of course, But as there are no converters without implementation
issues, Mr. Hafner's point becomes, er, pointless. :-)

All an experimenter can do is report what particular hardware was used.

I would also like to see how the comparison is done. Is it in real time,
when the listener can switch between the live feed and what comes out of
the D/A, or is it based on memory of what the live feed sounded like?

I have already answered this question. It was in realtime against the mike
feed. I was merely offering some anecdotal information that I thought
relevant to the discussion.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile