Charles Tomaras

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

"Lawrence Leung" wrote in message
Because there really isn't a debate. The LP crowd prefers something
that does not sound as much like the master tape as the CD crowd. The
LP crowd prefers the "effect" that LP mastering and reproduction
imparts to alter the original sound to fit onto the medium.

I don't think you will find any recording engineers who think an LP
sounds more like what they recorded than a CD.

Ummm... that is personal perface. I like CD myself, but there are still
quite a large of people like the vinyl LP, that's why there are still new
LPs, there are still new turntables in the market.

I'm not saying that vinyl doesn't have avid fans. What I am saying is that
vinyl, by it's very nature, does NOT sound like the original master. It
can't because of the processing that is demanded and employed in it's
mastering stage. Many people prefer the sound of vinyl...it's just not the
sound of the master...that's what I'm saying. Many people wear sunglasses
and comment about the beautiful day. I'm saying those sunglasses have
altered the look of the day in a way that reacts favorable with their eyes,
but you can't tell me that the color of the sky through those sunglasses
(filters) is the ACTUAL color of the sky! Bandwidth compression, limiting a
host of other manipulations alter the "actual" sound of the original
master... PERIOD. You may like it...but it is an alterred reality.

Not too many people can afford a $350.00 earphone for their discman.
BTW, how does it sounds? Should I buy that ER4 or the Bose noise
cancellation earphone? About the same price?

I haven't listened to any of the new Shure earbuds or the noise canceling
Bose so I can't make a comparison. I spend most of my work life using Sony
MDRV7506's recording location dialog and use the ER4's for traveling
pleasure. I should probably start listening to some newer technology as I
haven't checked out headphones for quite a few years now.