Rusty Boudreaux

Default What happened to perpetual technologies?

"Andre Yew" wrote in message
I disgree about the cost of room correction systems. Research

seems
to indicate that at least 1 second of room correction (or 1 Hz
correction resolution) is desirable. At 44.1 kHz, and done

with FIR
filters, this amounts to about 44.1k*44.1k = 1.9 billion

multiply and
additions (MACs) per second, and over 8 billion MACs per second

for 96
kHz processing, a sample rate at which many receivers and

surround
prepros are operating at today. That is well beyond

affordable, and
even achievable. Top-of-the-line Pentiums and Athlons can

barely
achieve Dhyrstone MIPS at half these numbers, and those numbers

are
unrealistic and inflated anyway, given that Dhrystone isn't a
realistic, or even meaningful benchmark.

I agree that it's not as cheap as the previous poster was
claiming. However, your argument using general processors is not
valid. In the realm of DSPs and ASICs this level of processing
power is certainly achievable at modest cost.