Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

Default Possible to do "What U Hear" recording with M-Audio Audiophile 2496?

Most soft synths are multi track output devices. Mulitple channels of MIDI
in - multiple audio out. I can't remember if Live Synth pro is one of these
or not. If you have HS 6. It has many of the same features are Sonar
including freeze. I would recommend HS6 because it comes dimenson LE /
Garritan Pocket Orchestra. Session Drummer 2. It also has the Roland
TTS-1. If you have an older version of HS you might look for a synth called
TTS-1 it is also multi out and a nice simple GM solution. On multi out
synths the tweaking is done on the synths audio track and you don't have to
bounce anything. When you add a synth check the box labeled "all synth
outputs" that way all of the synths audio tracks will be more obvious. If
Live Synth pro is your only choice, you could have several copies of it
running (depending on your computer's CPU) and tweak the outputs of them
individually.
Max Arwood

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 22, 11:00 am, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com
wrote:
Sonar has one of these engines that internally generates .wav date
from midi output?

How do you usually make a Wave file from a finished mix? Export, Yes? So
do
the same with only one soft-synth solo'd at a time. Or if HS has a Freeze
feature as Max suggested, it's even easier.

I'm not sure we're on the same page. I would normally either play the
midi tracks all at once in "What U Hear" record mode to make a stereo
audio mix

OR

Play each individual midi track the entire length of the song using
"What U Hear" to make audio tracks of each voice and tweak those
individually, then when I'm satisfied, mix those individual audio
tracks down to a stereo track with "Export" to an audio track.

I've heard that there are programs that will actually convert midi
tracks to audio without having to go through the "What U Hear"
recording process though I've never seen on in action. I'm not
familiar with the "Freeze" feature you're referring to.