Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

Steve King wrote:

"philicorda" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:28:45 -0500, Steve King wrote:

snip
The 'ping' sound was made by heavily eqing the reverb return. Put a
band pass after the reverb, preferably a steep synth filter type. It
doesn't really matter too much what the played sound source is.

Did you have in mind any analogue EQs of the time that are capable of
what you describe?

Things like the Moog 914 filter bank were around by that time.

What was more common is a passive high/low pass. I have seen in pictures
of old studios a passive high/low pass filter, in a rack with two big
knobs on the front. I can't remember which companies made them, but I
think they date back to the 50's. I don't think it was Pultec, but rather
folk like Eckmiller, Neumann or Siemens.

Pultec did make a high-low pass filter. Very popular through the 70s. So
did a few others.

Steve King

There are modern recreations of those, too.

For example: http://www.retroinstruments.com/2a3.html

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman