Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman Paul Dorman is offline

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

On 12/27/2020 2:27 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 26/12/2020 22:53, Paul Dorman wrote:
On 12/25/2020 8:04 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Â*Â* Again, I'm willing to bet very, very few people could correctly pick
out the 1 Clone, and the 1 Real, in two blind audio tests.

Â*Â* Close your eyes, and see if you can tell when the real U87 is
used:

Â*Â*Â*Â* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouB66R4QrXQ

Between my currently poor monitoring setup and Youtube's mangling of the
audio, I couldn't tell any difference.

YouTube's audio is good enough. I have studio monitors on my
home computer, and I can easily tell if a live concert YouTube
video's audio was recorded with tape, or digital. It's like night
and day. It appears the transition from tape to digital, happened
roughly in the later 90's, or early 2000s.

Mainly, I suspect the problem may have been with Youtube's audio
compression or the choice of subject matter. I will happily use Youtbe
to assess a performance, but having done the experiment, no way will I
use it to check audio or video quality on a recording.

Go ahead and use the best equipment you can, at a 192kHz sample
rate, and I'll bet you still won't be able to tell Real versus a
good Clone.

There's no real good reason to be a microphone snob, especially
with MP3s into Apple earbuds!