Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Speaker ports

"Don Pearce" skrev i en meddelelse

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 06:24:18 +0100, "Peter Larsen"

It is important to ensure a smooth inside finish of the vents. Box inside
walls should probably be felt covered, 1 cm thick felt stapled in place,
somewhat messy, not too flat and tidy. Make the box 32 liters to allow for
it and for the loudspeaker magnet.

Extra damping on the walls of the box shouldn't be necessary. The
internal Q is set by the driver and the port, so felt on the walls
would be an added and unknown extra source of loss.

If it was primarily or only a bass box I could agree and at least be willing
to try. Felt suggested with the inernal Q in mind. I'll settle for half the
walls, I'm thinking midrange standing waves causing midrange colouration via
the ports, 32 liters is a small box.

And of course this
is for sound production, not reproduction, so some character and
resonance is probably to be considered a good thing.

As long as it is well sounding, yes. One could also use a partial diagonal
bracing wall to break up standing waves so as to lessen any possible problem
and make the midrange that comes out of the ports sound better.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen