Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Speaker ports

On 19/01/2015 2:16 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" skrev i en meddelelse

Les Cargill wrote:

Suppose you are designing a ported speaker enclosure. Suppose this
design wants two 2 inch ports @ 0.80 inches.

Suppose also you are using 3/4" plywood.

Must the port extend 0.80 into the internal volume of the speaker box
or would the slightly less than .75 inches of the box material suffice?

.75 is well within the margin of error anyway. You're going to have to
do some cut-and-try work outdoors with a measurement system and see.
You may even find the thickness of the box material adds too much delay.

I think the design is trying to explain to the designer that he should use
larger and longer ports. A rectangular slit above the unit and one below
comes to mind.

Why longer? Many designs simply use a hole cut in the baffle. Far easier
when that is appropriate. As I said already, I'd simply cut smaller
holes and tune the box by making them as large as necessary by measurement.

Trevor.